Saturday, October 21, 2006

Dawn of the Don...

I went to watch Farhan Akhtar's new Don the other day and I must say, I was impressed! Now, I don't say things like that about a bollywood movie. From time immemorial I have had a thing against bollywood movies and movie-makers. Take Karan Johar for instance. To me he is the great over-doer. A person who destroys his work by over doing it to death. A case in example: Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna.

The new Don is a remake of an old movie of the 70's with the same title that starred one of the greatest bollywood legends: Amitabh Bachchan. Everyone expected more or less the same story. But Farhan Akhtar had other plans. He changed the plot and gave it a jolting twist at the end. The twist was so unexpected that people started leaving the theatre even before the climax thinking that the movie was over. Poor souls.

Farhan Akhtar has always introduced firsts into the technicalities of bollywood. Like the well choreographed fight sequences or the completely deceptive double-roles. Each frame of the movie is packed to the brim with style and gloss a la the matrix. Although I don't care much for Shah Rukh Khan's acting I must say Farhan Akhtar managed to convince him to give a more subtle and underplayed performance. That's a first for SRK who has always been over-dramatic. But this has caused critics to blame the movie for lacking in josh. I beg to differ. The movie had a lot of expectations as the old Don was a runaway hit. One of the biggest movies not just of that time but even today.

Farhan Akhtar's previous 2 movies Dil Chahta Hai and Lakshya were also spectacular. I hope to god that this director will stay on in bollywood and churn out more of such cunningly contrived movies. Farhan, take a bow.

4 comments:

Sameer Shaikh said...

I saw the movie yesterday .. and believe me I quite liked the presentation ..

Am gonna write a review once I am back from vacation

Regards
Sameer

eastcoastlife said...

Hello, greetings from Singapore! I do watch Indian movies shown on our TV occasionally. I love the singing & dancing..... and some of the leading male actors! ha ha...

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, looks cool

ubunto said...

hi
movie is good. here is something for you. as well..

http://www.onlinemoviehuwww.poynter.org/romeneskob.com/?New-Greys-Anatomy-Plot:-Mc-Dreamy-Quits&id=122

Thanks

Powered By Blogger